The Effectiveness of Benson’s Relaxation Therapy
|✅ Paper Type: Free Essay||✅ Subject: Nursing|
|✅ Wordcount: 3123 words||✅ Published: 25th Jan 2018|
A study to evaluate the effectiveness of Benson’s relaxation therapy on reduction of pain and stress among post caesarean mothers admitted in KMCH, Coimbatore
Objectives of the study are, To assess the level of pain and stress among post caesarean mothers before intervention in both control and experimental group, To assess the effectiveness of Benson’s relaxation therapy on reducing pain and stress among post caesarean mothers in experimental group and to find out the association between pain and stress with demographic and clinical profile. Time Series design was adopted for this study. Setting of the study is OBG wards in KMCH, Coimbatore. Sample size is totally 100 post caesarean mothers. (50 in the experimental group and 50 in the control group). Non probability purposive sampling technique was used. Titler et el(2004) effectiveness model was framed. Pain perception level was assessed by using 0-10 numerical pain scale, stress was assessed using Hung’s postpartum stress scale. Intervention: Pain was measured by numerical pain scale before and after providing the Benson’s relaxation therapy for 3 consecutive days, twice daily. Stress was measured by Hung’s Postpartum stress scale, Pre test is done on the 1st day morning before intervention and post test is done on the 3rd day evening after intervention. Benson’s relaxation therapy is effective in reducing the pain perception and stress in mothers who underwent LSCS. On comparing the pre test pain perception levels between the experimental and control group the ‘t’ value was not significant at 0.01 level of significance in pre test 1 whereas it was significant in the rest five observations. Comparison of the post test pain perception levels among the experimental and control group showed that the ‘t’ value was significant at 0.01 level of significance for all the six observations of post test. Hence there is a statistically significant difference in the post test pain perception scores in the experimental group. Similarly, on comparing the pre test stress scores in both experimental and control group the ‘t’ value was not significant at 0.01 level of significance whereas the ‘t’ value was significant on comparing the post stress scores among both experimental and control group, thus proving that there is a statistically significant difference in the post test stress scores in the experimental group. Conclusion: The results supported that Benson’s relaxation therapy is a simple therapy of non pharmacological measure and is effective in reducing the pain perception and stress in mothers who underwent LSCS.
- Arenson., & Drake.P.P (2007). Maternal and Newborn Health. 1st ed. Surbury: Jones and Barlett publishers.
- Basavanthappa, B.T (1998), Nursing Research. 1st ed. Bangalore: Jaypee Brothers.
- Basbarm, H.,Fields, (1984). Textbook of pain.(4th ed.). Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.
- Bennet, V. R., & Brow, L. K (2003). Myles Textbook for Midwives. 15th ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company.
- Burns, N. (1993). Nursing Research. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company.
- Cunningham, G., et al., (2005). Williams Obstetrics. 22nd ed. USA: McGRAW- Hill. Medical Publishing Division.
- Daftary, S. N., & Chakravarthi, S., (2012). Manual of obstetrics. 3rd ed. India: Elsevier publications.
- Dickson e j., Silverman BL., Kaplan JA(1998) . Maternal infant nursing care 3rd ed. Missouri: Mosby
- Dutta DC (2006) Textbook of Obstetrics including Perinatology and Contraception 6th ed. Calcutta : new central book agency (p) ltd.
- Fraser DM & Cooper M A (2009) Myles textbook for midwives 15th ed. China: Churchill livingstone.
- Gupta S P (2000) Statistical method 8th ed. new Delhi : Sulthan Chans & sons
- Herbert Benson M.D.,Miriam Z. Klipper(2000) The Relaxation response 25th ed.Boston: HarperCollinsPublishers.
- James H. Humphrey (2005) Anthology of Stress Revisited 9th ed. New York: Nova publishers.
- Klossner N J & Hatfield N (2005) Introductory maternity nursing. 1st ed. New Delhi: Pearson education.
- Kothari C.R (2000) Research methodology. 2nd ed. New Delhi: Wishwa prakasan.
- Lowdermilk DL & Perry,S.E. (2010) Maternity nursing 8th ed. USA: Mosby . Elsevier.
- Mc Caffery Margo(1979) Nursing management of patient with pain 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott.
- Murray & Mc Kinney (2010) Foundations of Maternal – New born & women’s health nursing Canada: Elsevier publications.
- Murvay S E (2002). Foundation of Maternal – New born nursing 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders.
- Padubidri.V & Anand. E (2006) Textbook of obstetrics 1st ed. New Delhi :B I publications.
- Pilliteri A (2007) Maternity and child health nursing 5th ed. New York Lippincott company.
- Polit DF & ungler BP (1999) Nursing research principles and methods 5th ed Philadelphia Lippincott company .
- Potter & Perry (2009) Fundamentals of Nursing 7th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby
- Raile.M.A., & Marriner A T (1997) Nursing theory utilization and application. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby.
- Reeder J.S ., Martin & Koniak G.D (1997) Maternity nursing: family , new born and women’s health care (17th ed.) Philadelphia: Lippincott company.
- Serge Doublet (2000) The Stress Myth 1st ed. Pennsylvania: Science & Humanities Press
- Abdalrahim, M.S., Majali, S. A., Stomberg, M. W., & Bergbom, I. (2011). The effect of postoperative pain management programme on improving nurses’ knowledge and attitude towards pain. Nurse Education in practice, 11(4), 250-255. Retrieved from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Boston, MA., (2009). Eliciting the Relaxation Response. Lifestyle Medicine: Tools for Promoting Healthy Change., retrieved from http://www.mbmi.org
- Bagheri-Nesami M,Mohseni-Bandpei MA,Shayesteh-Azar M (2006) The effect of Benson Relaxation Technique on rheumatoid arthritis patients: extended report: International journal of nursing practice volume 12, Issue 4, 214-219 Retrieved from http://www.pubmed.com
- Chich-Hsiu Hung & Hsin-Hsin Chung (2001) The effects of postpartum stress and social support on postpartum women’s health status: Journal of Advanced Nursing Vol 36,Issue 5, 676–684 Retrieved from http://www.pubmed.com
- Chung, J. W., & Lui, J. C.(2008). Post operative pain management: study of patients’ level of pain and satisfaction with health care providers’ responsiveness to their reports of pain. Nursing & health sciences,5(1), 13-21. Retrieved from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc article
- Eelco Olde., Onno van der., Hart Rolf Kleber & Maarten van Son (2006) Posttraumatic stress following childbirth: A review Clinical Psychology Review 26 (2006) 1 – 16 Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com
- Francis, L., & Fitzpatrick, J. J (2012). Post operative pain: Nurses’ knowledge and Patients’ experiences. Pain Management nursing. Retrieved from www.pain management nursing.org
- Home L(2006). Post C. S analgesia : Effective strategies and association with chronic pain. British Journal of Anaesthesiology. 19(3), 244 -248. Retrieved from www.nms.journal.com
- Jan van Dixhoorna., Adrian White (2012) Relaxation therapy for rehabilitation and prevention in ischaemic heart disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis: Europeon journal of preventive cardiology Volume 21, Issue 5, 65-59 Retrieved from http://www.pubmed.com
- Jan van Dixhoorn,Hugo J. Duivenvoorden, Hans A. Staal &Jan Pool (1989) Physical training and relaxation therapy in cardiac rehabilitation assessed through a composite criterion for training outcome: American Heart Journal, Volume 118, Issue 3, 545–552 retrieved from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Kooper J, Mariet C, (2004) Pain perception and sympathetic responses among post operative patients. Pain management nursing. 5(2): 59-65 Retrieved from www.pain management nursing.org
- Macrae, W. A., (2001) Chronic pain after surgery, The British journal of Anaesthesia, 87(1), 89-98 Retrieved from www.soulstice wellness.com
- Madhavi., et.al (2013) Implementing Benson’s relaxation training in hemodialysis patients: Changes in perceived stress, anxiety, and depression: Complementary therapies in Medicine Vol. 5, Issue 9, 536-540 retrieved from http://www.complementarytherapiesinmedicine.com
- Marion Good (2006) Effects of relaxation and music on postoperative pain: a review : Journal of Advanced Nursing Volume 24,Issue 5,905–914 retrieved from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- MasoumeRambod., et., al., (2013) Evaluation of the effect of Benson’s relaxation technique on pain and quality of life of haemodialysis patients: A randomized controlled trial: Complementary therapies in Medicine Vol. 21, Issue 5, 481-486 retrieved from http://www.complementarytherapiesinmedicine.com
- Maureen Wimberly Groer, Mitzi Wilkinson Davis & Jean Hemphill (2006) Postpartum Stress: Current concepts and the possible Protective Role of breast feeding: Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, Vol 31,Issue 4, 411–417 retrieved from http://www.pubmed.com
- Reynold, J. L (199) Post-traumatic stress disorder after childbirth: the phenomenon of traumatic birth: CMAJ,vol. 156no. 6 Retrieved from http://www.cmaj.com
- Sousa, L.D., Pitangui, A. C. R., Gomes, F,A., Nakano, A.M.S., & Ferreira, C. (2009). Measurement and characteristics of post – caesarean section pain and the relationship tp limitation of physical activities. Acta Paulista de Enfermafem, 22(6), 741-747. Retrieved from www.scielo.br/pdf/ape.
- Soderquist. J, K. Wijma&B. Wijma(2002) Traumatic stress after childbirth: Role of Obstetrical variable: Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynaecology vol 23, No. 1, 31-39 retrieved from http://www.informahealthcare.com
- Tetti Solehati,S.Kp.,M.Kep.(2011) The effect of benson relaxation to pain intensity of post secarean section client in Sumedang hospital and Al Ihsan hospital Bandung: The Association of Indonesian Nurse Education Center. Retrieved from www.aipni-ainec.com
- Tobias Esch., Gregory L. Fricchione., George B. Stefano (2003) The therapeutic use of the relaxation response in stress-related diseases : Journal of Complementary therapies, Volume 9 (2): 23-34, Retrieved from http://www.medscimonit.com
- Varunyupa Roykulcharoen & Marion Good (2004) Systematic relaxation to relieve postoperative pain: Journal of Advanced Nursing Volume 48,Issue 2,pages 140–148 retrieved from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Wadden TA,de la Torre CS (1980) Relaxation therapy as an adjunct treatment for essential hypertension: Journal of Family Practice volume11(6):901-908 Retrieved from http://www.pubmed.com
- Zainab Shaban (2013) Childbirth a traumatic event: Iran Red Crescent Medical Journal vol 15. No.3 177-182 Retrieved from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- Sreedevi, K. (2011) Nov.26, C.S. pain. Retrieved from www.timesofindia.com
- Ria Ann Kurian., (2013). Effectiveness of hand and foot massage on pain reduction among post caesarean women in Kovai medical center and hospital, Coimbatore. Unpublished M.Sc., Nursing Dissertation, KMCH College of Nursing, Coimbatore, The Tamilnadu DR. M.G.R Medical University, Chennai.
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on UKEssays.com then please: